Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Postojna. Castles & Caves

As I was slogging my way up yet another climb, I had a small break and just stopped. Partially to enjoy the silence but probably also to enjoy the stillness. Why am I doing what I'm doing? was the thought that came to mind. Its a question that probably cant be answered without some larger picture diagrams, but all the data may not be in just yet. I'll spare you the other thoughts that come as a result of spending a lot of time by oneself in a country that doesnt naturally converse in English. It has been an interesting trip in that regard so far though. Interestingly enough I found this humourous take on the language. Also educational. 
Slovene Language




I rolled into Postonja late on the Sunday and found the local hostel which like the previous place, also shared its space with a school but was much more inhabited. The area is known for its fortress of a castle called Predjama castle and its 20 kms of underground caves. It was a bit late by the time I got in so decided to head to the cave and castle the next day.
I first rode out to the castle and then was going to head back to the caves, the former being 10km from town. Its an amazing sight when you first see how it has been built. It looks as though nothing could penetrate the fortress.


Unfortunately it was penetrable and Erazem the occupant, Hungarian supporter and 15th century 'Robin Hood' who would steal from the rich and give to the poor, met his demise at the hands, and canon ball of the Austrians. When inside you get to see the matrix of how far back some of the passageways go into the cave, some leading up to the back of the mountain and others further down.

After appreciating as much of the castle as I could, I headed back to the Postojna caves for the 1:00 tour. I had originally signed up for the 3:00 thinking I would be longer at the castle. After chatting with the same ticket person I was now on the 1:00 tour. Relevant later.
The cave is one of two things that I've seen where my first reaction is 'holy shit'. The other being the grand canyon. As they say, photos dont do it justice. You take a train to start and after 5 minutes or so you end up at the start of the walking portion.







Area where a Christmas/New Year symphony is held.
There are varying accounts of how long it takes for a stalagmite to grow one millimetre, I heard between 30 and 100 years depending on pamphlets or guides. Given that math the cave is estimated to be 250 million years old. Men may build impressive castles into caves but nature seems to be phenomenally more impressive when building said caves.
After coming back into the daylight and letting my eyes adjust I stopped in for the third time to the ticket office. I handed through my 3:00 ticket to the girl that I'd been chatting with each time I changed my ticket, and after a moment of blushing she said she couldnt because she had to work that evening but would really like to. I had written on the back of the ticket, "Greva na kavo, na pijaco ponoci?". After our equal looks of "thats too bad" I said, "Maybe next time" and she agreed. My other thought was "Stick to your area code!". Some habits. . .
I was planning on heading to the coast the next day so decided to stop in at the Skocjan Caves on the way through. They are a UNESCO designated world heritage site and probably also why no photos were allowed. Our guide said there are 250 different animals, insects and fauna in the cave so its important to not disrupt their environment. The Reka river flows through the canyon and is responsible for shaping it in its current form. So perhaps there are now three things that have garnered my sentiments from earlier. The Skocjan caves are similar to the Grand Canyon, but just underground. One of the most amazing spaces that Ive been in.



It was a great day of being a tourist and for seeing all the amazing parts of Slovenia that are literally just underneath the surface. I am headed to the coast to get some sun and catch up on some omega 3's. People with a gluten sensitivity would die here.
Last meal at hostel kitchen. Postojna.


1 comment:

  1. So coffee was easier than lunch? Are you sure you had the right variation of the 10 possible ways to ask? Ha ha! That's were Pen and I went, Predjama Catltle with Ivo. It was amazing, you got some awesome photos of the caves! I'm surprised you haven't mentioned dragons yet...they seemed to be everywhere in Slovenia! Great blog so far.

    ReplyDelete